I recently lost a bunch of digital photos of mine in a tragic hard-drive accident. While I was unable to recover the actual images, I found that my image viewer ACDSee had created thumbnails for each of them. ACDSee automatically maintains a database of thumbnails for all folders that you browse through under your local app settings (Thumb1.fpt for large thumbnails, and Thumb2.fpt for smaller versions), and doesn’t remove any files unless you explicitly tell it to do so.
While there are some professional tools out there that let you browse this database, I just needed something to quick and dirty to extract the files, so I decided to take a look at the fpt files. As it turns out, these files just consist of a header (512 bytes) followed by the raw JPG images. I wrote a little C# tool to parse the files and write out all the images.
fptsplit.exe /i [Input File] /o [Output Directory]